No, there is nothing called Purusha ( Jiva ). Upanishads says that Brahman (Atman) alone is real and exists. Purusha is a false association seen and believed in Maya ( ignorance)
Brahman when associates itself with a physical body it is called as “Purusha ( Jiva )”
Why should Brahman associate itself with a physical body ?
Upanishads says that this association is a felt and not real, it is caused by Maya.
- Like when you go to a dream and attach yourself to the dream world thinking it real and permanent. But that dream world was neither real nor your existence as physical body there.
- Upanishads says that similarly you are thinking yourself as a Jiva within this waking world. This world is also not real and is manifestation of Maya.
- The physical body to whom we consider as Real is nothing without the conscious Atman. Atman alone is seer, thinker, hearer e.t.c.
- When this Brahman leaves the physical body, the same body is called as dead body
We have too also understand, what Upanishads have highlighted in Mahavakyas :
- Tat tavam asi ( तत्त्वमसि ) – You are the Brahman
- ayam atma brahma (अयम् आत्मा ब्रह्म) – This Atman is Brahman who created this world and the Jiva.
- aham brahmāsmi ( अहं ब्रह्म अस्मि) – I ( Jiva) am the Brahman
- Prajnanam brahma (प्रज्नानम ब्रह्म ) – Atman is Brahman, he is Consciousness.